Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Run For Change - World Vision's 30 Hour Famine
Every year the youth ministry that I work with participates in World Vision's 30 Hour Famine. It is an incredible weekend event that raises awareness about the desperate needs of so many people around the world. Even better, we challenge the students to go out and raise money for people all over the world who are dying from preventable causes. Every year the number of kids dying from things like hunger, poverty and disease is going down...we can't help but think that's because of the work World Vision is doing through the 30-Hour Famine. With all the recent devastation in the world, you can imagine how great the need is right now.
This year, Stuart and Paige Atkins and I decided to do something a little crazy to raise awareness and money for the 30 Hour Famine. We signed up to run a half-marathon ! We are connecting our race to the Famine, and asking for support through donations. We've put together a video that explains everything in a more entertaining way - check it out for more info! We've dubbed ourselves Team "Run For Change." The money raised will go to providing food and care for people in need. The famine and race are only a few weeks away, so if you'd like to be part of making a difference in the world...act fast! Any amount you are able to give will be used to make an impact!
There are a couple of ways you can participate:
1. Be praying for the 30 Hour Famine Event at Sugarloaf UMC on March 19-20 and for the other 30 Hour Famine events that will be held at churches/youth groups all over the world.
2. Pray for Stuart, Paige and me as we finish our preparations for the the half-marathon.
3. Pass this message along to others via email, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace (is that still around?), US Postal Service, etc. We'd love as many people as possible to know about it! Here's an easy link to this post you can cut/paste: http://ow.ly/1gflP
4. You can donate online here. That will take you directly to our World Vision account.
5. You can also send your donations to:
Run for Change
c/o Student Life
1795 Old Peachtree Rd.
Duluth, GA 30097
Make checks payable to World Vision and put Run for Change in the memo.
Thanks in advance for your support! We really appreciate it.
Jake, Stuart & Paige
Team Run For Change!